Sunday, December 11, 2011

Location, Location, Location

Location will be a crucial factor for Linea's success.  The restaurant will thrive if it is centrally located in the right neighborhood, with good visibility on a busy street with plenty of foot traffic.

Two main factors determine rent for a restaurant: location and square footage.  I am more than willing to compromise on square footage by using every inch of storage space possible, floor to ceiling.  It's always wise for a new business to keep physical inventory to a minimum and keep the assets liquid, so I will not order goods in bulk.  During my time in the shoebox kitchen of The Haven, I learned how to utilize very limited storage space by keeping it organized and uncluttered. 

A line out the door is excellent free advertisement, and the better the location is, the longer the line will be.  And for that reason, location is not something I can afford to compromise.

My weighted factors when looking for a space for Linea will be:

Location 40%
Rent/Lease 15%
Buildout Cost 10%
Parking 10%
Square Footage/Layout 10%
Landlords 10%
Existing Equipment 5%

(If I am forgetting something, or if you think something should be weighted differently for Linea's concept, please comment and let me know).

If any of you readers happen to see a vacant restaurant space in a good location, or hear of a spot for sale, please let me know!  Especially in JP or Somerville.

-Chef Wax

No comments:

Post a Comment