Saturday, September 24, 2011

The Control Freak In Me (Part 1)

I admit it: I've got a little control freak in me.  Most chefs do.  My control freak's name is Bill.

Bill works me hard - he cracks the whip when he needs to.  For the first three months as Chef at The Haven, I worked six long days each week.   Bill told me I should work all seven days to make sure everything was perfect, but I ignored him.  After working six 12-14 hour days with no breaks, I needed to rest on the 7th day.  Physically, that 7th day was crucial recuperation.  Mentally, it was wasn't enough.  Each day off, while I sat on my couch, completely wiped, Bill would constantly ask me, "Are my customers getting great food in my absence?"  I did not yet have confidence in my staff to uphold my standards and instructions in my absence, and Bill agreed.  I would get texts and phone calls from the cooks on my day off, pestering me with questions.  I would never get the mental rest I needed, and it just drained me more and more each week. 

I grew tired, but I learned to listen to Bill, to embrace him, and to reason with him.  If Bill had it his way, The Haven would be closed when I had a day off.  But this was one decision (of many decisions) that was not his to make - he didn't own the place - and I told him as much.  "Well," Bill responds, "then you're just going to have to own your own place, so we can make all the decisions ourselves."  I agree.  "That way, if we want to be closed one or two days a week we can do that!"  I caution in reply, "Sure, but slow down Bill - we can only do that if it makes sense financially."

TO BE CONTINUED

P.S. I do not have a multiple personality disorder, I just want my writing to be entertaining to read...

No comments:

Post a Comment